2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
ChuckSten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by ChuckSten »

Please count me in. I'm entering and exiting via the Bear Creek Diversion Dam TH. Any advice on tricky stream crossings?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Chuck,

You are counted in. Looking forward to meeting you. :)
There are too many variables to predict what you can expect at the end of July. Keep an eye on the snowpack; if the central Sierra is average or below, you will be fine. Luckily, I have been through that area a few times and have not experienced more than waist-deep water levels. Try timing your fjords for the mornings instead of afternoons when the water levels are lower.
Read the following thread for some great pointers: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6043&hilit=safe+ri ... ing#p40741
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

After snagging a permit for Bear Diversion Dam for Sunday, 7/21, there are 3 permits left for Sunday, Friday =0, Mon-Thursday, still 6 each. I suspect this will be one of the entries our members will use, and there will begin to be fewer in number. I am glad I did not wait too long, because the east side entries look impossible this year.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

some will start saying the meetup is too big! last time they said that I was the only person camped where we were supposed to be! I think the meetup at kaweah basin was the best!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Some will start saying the meetup is too big!
Plenty of space exists to set up dispersed campsites for groups north, south, east, and west of Vee Lake. Seven Gables and Bear Lakes can also be used as campsites, for example, if the size requires it, and we meet up at the east side of Vee Lake during the day on Friday for our HST gathering. When we get to the 15th of July, I will count how many will be attending, especially since the 14-day permits have already been released, and plan to minimize our impact accordingly. ;)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I loved Kaweah Basin. My only regret is not staying there a few more days, but I was not retired yet, and the clock never stopped ticking.
But you know how it goes, more will say they are going then actually show up, and people will wander in on Thursday, Friday, or even the exit day, Saturday. I doubt it will be too big, and Vee is large.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

After snagging a permit for Bear Diversion Dam for Sunday, 7/21, there are 3 permits left for Sunday, Friday =0, Mon-Thursday, still 6 each. I suspect this will be one of the entries our members will use, and there will begin to be fewer in number. I am glad I did not wait too long because the east side entries look impossible this year.
As Rich mentions above, there are still permits left for the Bear Diversion and Bear Ridge; otherwise, if you procrastinate, you will have to gamble on trying to snag the ones released two weeks before your start from the west or east entries. Good luck with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

ChuckSten wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:37 pm Please count me in. I'm entering and exiting via the Bear Creek Diversion Dam TH. Any advice on tricky stream crossings?
Just a quick response: I am coming in from the diversion dam. The major crossing that can be challenging on the JMT is Bear Creek a couple miles or so south from the Hilgard Branch. If the snow keeps up, and the creek is very high, I will not cross Bear Creek because I have my dog to consider also. You have to cross the Hligard ford first before the Bear Creek ford, but I don't anticipate big problems with that ford. However, When I get to the Bear Creek ford, if I don't like the crossing, I will go up the East Fork of Bear Creek, which is just before the Bear Creek ford, and go to Seven Gables Lakes, then to Vee Lake. All the creeks could be larger than normal, but compared to Bear Creek, I do not anticipate any big problems. All that I can say is people need to know their own abilities, and not be afraid to find alternative crossings(usually upstream) even though it takes a lot more effort. I just say it is not worth the risk, and keep looking until I have a safe plan to cross. That is my opinion, for what it is worth.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since I only tried to attend one meetup (Keweah) and missed the boat when I arrived, can you explain what is planned for the "meetup day" Friday. Everyone in the same place or do people meet in the morning and go off in groups? If I decide to go and can get a permit, I do not want to "miss the boat" again! If I camp somewhere an hour or so away, will I get the meeting place only to find everyone gone for the day?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Since I only tried to attend one meetup (Keweah) and missed the boat when I arrived, can you explain what is planned for the "meetup day" Friday. Everyone in the same place or do people meet in the morning and go off in groups? If I decide to go and can get a permit, I do not want to "miss the boat" again! If I camp somewhere an hour or so away, will I get the meeting place only to find everyone gone for the day?
I will go into more detail once the final numbers are in since it impacts how and between what times our gathering takes place on Friday; it will be a meet and greet, three to four-hour planned cocktail hour, so you won't miss out. :partyman:
The wild card that cannot be controlled is the weather, but hopefully, she will cooperate. Those arriving on Wednesday or Thursday can visit with groups who have already arrived; not everyone will be doing a drop-in. I am happy you are considering attending this one, Daisy. :)