2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by Jimr »

The memories.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Just a quick Flickr search to water your mouths

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=vee ... wilderness
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Mav,
This looks great, and Bear Lakes basin/Vee Lake is a superb choice given the huge diversity of potential campsites. Right now, Joy and I are aiming to include this as part of a longer sojourn, but if she decides that the mosquito population is still too high, I will try to tag along with Schmalz. And Aura? Maybe JimR? Thanks for taking the initiative!
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Happy to read that you’re joining us, it’s also been ten years that we see each other again. I hope the mosquitoes have died down enough by then, so Joy will be able to join us.😊
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Having never been to one of these, I'll try to drop in. This is only a few days after I return from a 2-week-long family trip to Japan, so I'm a bit concerned about conditioning for both me and my usual ace backpackin companion (Dawn, who will also be on the family trip). I'm not sure about Dawn's schedule, too, given that she'll be going to college somewhere and sometimes those freshman orientation things happen pretty early. If all the stars align, I'd go with Dawn to tune us up for a longer trip we'd do shortly afterwards (Tunedardchuck or Sawarrowboose). However, I can also surgically strike this solo, as long as I go in from the west side (family would object to me soloing in by way of preferred east side entries such as cox-es-ist-nicht). If I go, I'd aim to go 4 days and 3 nights, but probably staying on nights 1 and 3 at a different nearby location (most of y'all can guess) but joining at the full day at Vee.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sounds excellent, GB! \:D/
If only I could convince Copeg to attend, this would be the highest admin/mod attendance yet! :-k :D

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Fingers crossed this works out for all concerned, and having a few more of the admin-moderator cohort will be a great opportunity to thank you all in person for a magnificent job done! Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cameron,

Unfortunately, Jimr doesn’t look like he is going to be able to attend, otherwise we could have had almost all admin-moderators in attendance.

giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

I was reminded by Judy that I do in fact have a commitment for that weekend to be at an event in (near) Yosemite, so the probability of me making the meet up has dropped somewhat, but it's not zero.

I have to be at this other meet-up early enough on Saturday July 27 that it would not be feasible for me to overnight at Vee on July 26, but could certainly overnight at Vee or (likely) somewhere else on the 25th then drop in for a visit of a few hours on the 26th before departing early enough (ie early afternoon) to reach the trailhead (mostly like the diversion dam) before it gets dark.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Plenty of permits are available on Rec.gov for numerous trailheads and dates starting from the west; get them early if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.