2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2024 HST Meetup

Post by maverick »

Well, it's been a while since we had an HST Meetup; life has been throwing some curve balls. Anyway, I am putting out some feelers to see what kind of interest there would be in having one. :)
The location would be Vee Lake in Bear Lakes Basin. http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... &cat=&mt=3
Dates would be 7/25 - 7/27.

PS To clarify, 7/26 (Fri) is our full day, the other two days are partial days with people either arriving or departing.

Also, as on a previous Meetup, we will be having a chocolate tasting again. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by SNOOOOW »

Unfortunately, those are the only 4 days in a 14 day period that I am currently scheduled to work lol. I am hoping to get out to that area this summer.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Interested.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

will hopefully be over by finger those days, but would love to do a meetup again!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey Mav, I'm interested. I'll be working on SPS peaks in that area end of July, anyway, so the timing seems good.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Interested (if my schedule is clear). I might want to coordinate with another attendee if I plan an east-side entry.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

I'm interested. I spent some time there in 2021 but storms kept me in my tent more than I would have liked so have been considering going back.
-------------
Dave | flickr
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It is great to see previous and new members interested in participating in the Meetup. :nod:
Make sure you get your permit this coming weekend, which makes it six months prior to your start date!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I'd be honored to join in such a trip. What's the most common trailhead for this one on the west side? Not too familiar with that part of SNF.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Lenier wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:42 pm … What's the most common trailhead for this one on the west side? …
There are two SNF trails you’d probably want to choose from: Bear Ridge and Bear Diversion (both near Lake Thomas Edison).
Bear Diversion trail can be accessed from Bear Diversion Dam, accessed by a road (nominally 4WD-only) that splits off from Kaiser Pass Road; however you can also use the Bear Creek “cutoff” trail (originating just a bit before you reach Vermilion Valley Dam). The trailhead for Bear Ridge Trail is located right at the VV Dam). I can’t say which is better.

Depending on your overall route, you could also choose the Florence Trail (starting at the Florence Lake ferry dropoff to save some of your walk), but would be a longer distance choice (than the options from Lake Edison) if you’re just doing an out and back to Vee.