Circle of Solitude 2024 = Feedback Sought

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Circle of Solitude 2024 = Feedback Sought

Post by frozenintime »

thegib, that's an interesting area i've never even considered. do you have any photos? how much time have you spent back there? did you make it up to lake 10875?
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

@frozenintime, no, from the tiny lake at 10400' I spent the day climbing Whaleback. And my pics are on an older computer with an older OS that this new mac doesn't recognize. (Sigh). But I remember a cool quartz vein near where I camped, and an air of both remoteness and intimacy (being closed bounded by the canyon walls) that was very attractive.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have a poor photo of that valley. It was prettier than the photo shows. I went there by accident - thought I was going up Cloud Canyon. Actually, Cloud Canyon is more spectacular.

1989-90_new_edited-2.jpg
1991_ALT.jpg
1983_ColbyL_ALT.jpg
1981_ColbyLk_camp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

thanks to both of you. the plan is to be in cloud and deadman canyons this august :)
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Maybe we'll cross paths. Informal HST meetup.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

My plan is to be out there late July / Early August :)
OldMomHiker
Topix Novice

Post by OldMomHiker »

The night I camped at Lake SA in 2014 was the quietest night I've ever spent in the Sierra. No wind, no sound—absolutely nothing.

However, I echo that the views west from Lake SA are not as dramatic as those from the surrounding basin; you're kind of tucked in there with the lake and can see up but not out.

I passed through there again in 2021 and saw plenty of spots that would have left me breathless upon opening my tent in the morning. I want to return spend a couple nights in the basin and enjoy the place!
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hello @Lenier,

Jumping into an already crowded thread. . .
Is there anywhere worth camping at in the Avalanche Pass area? Should I head off-trail to one of the two lakes up there?
Agreeing with previous comments: yes, there are flat camp spots on Avalanche Pass. I've camped there twice. . . but to be honest, I never loved it. It was functional, no views, and dry. If you're looking to split your Day 3 into something easier, my advice is camp at the Sphinx Creek camp (which you marked on your map, 8585'). I love this site, especially 30 meters south of the trail on the west side of the creek. The vibe here is cozy, peaceful, and there's reliable water. I have positive memories of a delightful morning spent here listening to bird song along the creek.
2). Should I camp at Garret's Lake (sp?) instead of pushing all the way to Junction Meadow?
+1 to previous comments. Gallat's Lake is one of my favorite areas on your route. It can be a photographer's dream. I think this is one of the areas where you will most strongly feel the solitude of the Circle of Solitude.
3). I've only been up Bubb's from Road's End to the intersection with the JMT. Should I camp closer to Forester for views, or go ahead and get to Upper Vidette [meadow]?
IMHO, all good options. Upper Vidette Meadow is scenic, but it can be popular. I've camped here three times, and there's always been other groups around. Never crowded in any sense, but not solitude if that's what you're seeking. If you have time in your schedule, I would vote for camping on the north side of Forester Pass at treeline, near the 11,200' level. If you simply hike away from trail 100 meters, you'll feel like you have the entire basin to yourself.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

That's exactly the advice I was looking for Flamingo. Thanks a ton.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

1. I don't remember a campsite near where the Avalanche Pass trail takes off from Bubbs creek but I could be wrong. Once you pass the steep sphinx creek gorge there is a small creek coming in from the east that could provide a suitable campsite without heading up to Sphinx Creek Crossing.
2. there is a suitable campsite along a upper moraine creek a short way down from Avalance pass plus others further down but geez its all downhill why stop there? If you don't want to stop at RR just go about a mile upstream and there is a flat between the river and the trail that can provide an adequate site or a bit further is an old packer site but I don't know its current condition. Past that you are pretty much cmmitted to Cement Table Meadow.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!