Trip Report: Sequoia NP. Wolverton to Table Meadows

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report: Sequoia NP. Wolverton to Table Meadows

Post by Wandering Daisy »

2010 and 11 were both high snow years, much more so 2011. Lots of snow winter of 2010-11.

As for taking kids, they do quite well in snow and have an amazing ability to stay warm. As a parent, though, you really have to keep an eye on them. I see you had your sled you dragged behind - pretty much essential if taking kids out in the winter. What surprises me, is that kids in California do not have regular snowy winters so not experienced in playing in snow all day like I did as a kid, yet your kids did fine. I learned a lot as a kid about snow and cold. Too much really- now as an older adult I prefer warmer conditions. One funny thing you learn quickly as a small kid is never lick the steel post of a chain link fence when it is well below freezing. :D
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:42 am 2010 and 11 were both high snow years, much more so 2011. Lots of snow winter of 2010-11.
One funny thing you learn quickly as a small kid is never lick the steel post of a chain link fence when it is well below freezing. :D
I learned about avalanche hazards. I grew up in the rural/suburbia interface, N/W of Chicago. Big lots, no fences. Back in the day no one minded you cutting through their property. I had a short-cut route that halved my walking distance to elementary school. One winter, on the heels of a big lake effect blizzard, I was on my route. At one point I descend a steep 30' high slope. The drift at the top was waist deep. About a third of the way down the snow bank make a popping sound, and the next thing I knew I was completely buried in powder at the base of the slope. Lucky for me the run was too short to generate the friction heat that melts the surface of the snow flakes, which instantaneously refreeze solid when a typical avalanche ends its run. I was able to easily squirm my way out of the debris snout. But had the snow refrozen solid, I would probably be lost for the the rest of the season, as the base of the slope held snow for weeks at a time and people seldom ventured over that portion of real estate. I may be slow to learn but not stupid; I avoided that slope thereafter, whenever it carried snow.

We also learned about the hazards of playing on lake ice, sledding of steep icy roads without a spotter, and not engaging in snow ball wars with bullies that like to embed ice or stones in their snow balls. Such fond memories! I am sure there is more, but it was so long ago.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd wrote:
I had a short-cut route that halved my walking distance to elementary school, on the heels of a big blizzard, I was on my route....The drift at the top was waist deep.... the next thing I knew I was completely buried in powder at the base of the slope.... had the snow refrozen solid, I would probably be lost for the the rest of the season,
So Ed, you are one of those old guys who as a kid really did have to walk miles in waist-deep snow to get to school? Fighting through blizzards and avalanches... With stories like that, I hope you never had to drive any kids to school. Well what about those Ramer bingings? We were counting on you to explain them to us. Here is a link to refresh your memory:
https://earnyourturns.com/13749/review- ... g-binding/

It is written:
Last week I was struck by the hole that exists in the AT world these days for a binding that works with tech-less alpine boots
I reckon Frank would have something to say about that. :nod:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello Sam,

Regarding southern Sierra skiing options, I just remembered a slope for you. After decending eastward off of The Hump, and between Pear Creek and Aster Lake I saw your sort of crazy tracks, s-shaping their way apparently, all the way down to the valley floor. That would put you above Lodgepole TH. If you had a car placed at Lodgepole waiting for you, that would make for a fine, long downhill run! Have you heard of that run Sam?

Thanks for the nice comment, and what is this :-) , a sideways smiley face?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:14 pm Thanks for the nice comment, and what is this :-) , a sideways smiley face?
An emoji before emojis were a thing ^_^ >_< :-O
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Ian -
Thanks for sharing this, and we don’t mind at all when you share photos from when you had your boys along for your adventures; involving kids & grandkids with outdoor pursuits is something we all can aspire to. Also, I loved the photos; especially with the dramatic weather.

A couple of questions:
Heading to the Tableland from your camp near the Pear Lake hut, did you drop down a bit and head directly up the course of the Marble Fork, or did you head above (south of) the winter hut and start off up the moderate ridge to the east ? The one time I went through there (heading down the M. F.), seems like things narrowed down a bit (with steep-ish banks) a couple places along the river, but maybe it’s a lot easier with snow ?
Also wondered about the bamboo poles you broke; I scratched my head about their purpose, then did a forehead slap - do you use poles (rather than ropes) to pull the pulk so it doesn’t overtake the backs of your skis when heading downhill (?) or is there a different reason for them ?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Grampy wrote:
A couple of questions:
Heading to the Tableland from your camp near the Pear Lake hut, did you drop down a bit and head directly up the course of the Marble Fork, or did you head above (south of) the winter hut and start off up the moderate ridge to the east ? The one time I went through there (heading down the M. F.), seems like things narrowed down a bit (with steep-ish banks) a couple places along the river, but maybe it’s a lot easier with snow ?
Also wondered about the bamboo poles you broke; I scratched my head about their purpose, then did a forehead slap - do you use poles (rather than ropes) to pull the pulk so it doesn’t overtake the backs of your skis when heading downhill (?) or is there a different reason for them ?
Happy New Year Grampy and Family. Re. the route, I have alway skied the slight down, and then up the Marble Fork to reach the Table Meadows and Tablelands. It is easy skiing, but if avalanche forecast is in the considerable range, I would perhaps choose to poke around more open terrain, lower angle slopes. Grampy, I wonder if you made it over that ridge you mentioned, and on to Moose Lake? I would really love to get to Moose Lake in wintertime, to gaze south into the Kaweah Peaks. Can you imagine this landscape in white?:

100_0125.jpg
Moose Lake near...

100_0114.jpg
Moose Lake far.

Regarding the bamboo pulk "poles," "struts," whatever they are called, I have used them over 1/2" pvc, and other tubular products, just because I have them in the garden, and I like them better. Sometimes I have doubled them up, and then taped or wired the two together; I have some closeup photos of them:

DSCN0530.JPG
The lightweight carabiners clip into cord loops attached to our pack waistbelts. This rig only weighs about 5-6 lbs.

DSCN0529.JPG
We were summer skiing in Humphreys Basin.

DSCN0520.JPG
Skiing partners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Thanks Ian for the reply, even though it’s caused me to dive down more rabbit holes #-o .

First, yes I have been to Moose Lake, but heading the opposite way (from Alta Meadow); yes, it would be interesting to visit with lots of snow, though an area with ancient Junipers or Ponderosa (or Jeffery) pines might be more visually-appealing to me. But I was a rather sorry x/c skier the couple times I tried (never mastered the “glide”); I could survive in snow during the day but might just die of boredom during the long night.

I found Moose Lake hard to adequately capture in a photo, mostly because I didn’t go high enough above it to do so. Is your “Moose Lake far” shot taken from Peak 11,225’ (south of Pterodactyl Pass) ? Wherever it was, you did it right. I hope to return to it someday and extend my knowledge eastward to Lonely and Big Bird Lakes.

And yes, bamboo. Its modulus of elasticity (Young’s Modulus) is 2-3 times higher (and its density 50% or so lower) than that of PVC. If you could source some bamboo poles in even a slightly larger diameter than the ones you are using (say, 1.25” rather than 1”), it might do the trick to avoid fracturing them (and therefore the need to double them up). And “strut” is just the word to use for your pulk-pulling devices.

Up until a few years ago, scaffolding for construction in China was mostly fabricated using bamboo (even for high-rise buildings), it is still used in Hong Kong even though steel has replaced it throughout most of China.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:47 pm Gogd wrote:
I had a short-cut route that halved my walking distance to elementary school, on the heels of a big blizzard, I was on my route....The drift at the top was waist deep.... the next thing I knew I was completely buried in powder at the base of the slope.... had the snow refrozen solid, I would probably be lost for the the rest of the season,
So Ed, you are one of those old guys who as a kid really did have to walk miles in waist-deep snow to get to school?
One mile only. And the snow was usually deep only where it accumulated on the leeward side of things and drifts. Lol, I forgot to mention we had to fight off bear and moose en route, and collect wood on the way home to cook said moose. Yea, right... Actually I didn't have to walk, mom drove my sibs; but I liked walking, especially in the rain, snow and elements. Perhaps a sign of things to come? My school NEVER had a snow day. I remember walking backwards in blizzards to school because the driving wind stung if facing it head on. We'd travel down the middle of the street in white out conditions, because that was the only way to assure we kept on route. You could only see 20 yards, our surroundings like apparitions popping in and out of the gloom! The cars weren't a problem, they couldn't safely travel faster than walking pace either, due to visibility. It was all an adventure for this little boy.

About those Ramers: I found this link that succinctly describes the doctrine that drove Paul Ramer's ski equipment designs.
https://earnyourturns.com/24/tribute-to-paul-ramer/ There is other content on the web for those curious about the paradigm shift that occurred to 3-pin and alpine touring equipment during the late 1970s though the mid 1980s.

I remember well, retiring my bamboo poles, hiking boot-like Scarpa touring duckbills and Bonna 2400 wooden, heavy duty touring skis with segmented steel edges. The new stuff was amazing on comparison. I ended up owning lighter, stiffer, plastic tele boots (do not recall the model), and the first model year of Fisher 88 tele skis. As I was mulling over my options, I did come across some of Ramer's designs. In fact I acquired a pair of his telescoping poles https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -242746087 that had interchangeable grips - one of which had built-in arresting picks, and the shafts could be joined to make an avalanche probe. Very nice and decades ahead of its time.

Ramer was an Alpine touring advocate. I was not convinced that alpine equipment was the future of backcountry ski touring. I was more in the Alan Bard camp of BC skiing, go light go fast, and rely on good technique and physical strength to get you there. So to answer your question: Ramer had a catalog of binding designs. From what I read his designs had significant short comings. I believe he had a 3-pin as well as alpine style binding among his designs, both allegedly capable of receiving a variety of boots. I do not know how well that went. I did not hang with the Randonne/alpine touring crowd, so am not aware of the efficacy of Ramer's alpine bindings. As for his free heel XC designs, they were all on the heavy side, this opinion coming from someone who eschewed even the lightest of cable bindings.

Alas Ramer did not come up with enduring concepts, regarding his binding designs. But he was correct in his vision, that alpine style equipment and technique would get more people into off-piste skiing. Nowadays more backcountry skiers are in the mountains to ski, versus ski to get into the mountains. They overnight in the snow by necessity to reach their objective, versus the journey being the means to its own end. Me? I don't think pulling off Glen Plake like gonzo-epic runs down 40 degree slopes miles from a vehicle (to get me to the hospital) is a smart move. As you so experienced, Ian, it takes very little for a ski day to become a serious ordeal. BTW, you are one tough dude, to self extricate such an injury! As it was, even at my peak, three pin equipment was plenty sufficient to get me over any terrain I desired to ski. The only runs I never skied on 3-pins at Mammoth were runs I also never attempted on alpine gear, due the hazards those narrow chutes presented. And I knew only a couple of people willing to ski those runs on alpine equipment. In the BC I always chose conservative lines to preclude the consequences of an injury in a remote setting. Now old age is my limiting factor, no matter what is shod to my feet.

PS: I happen to like TR photos that include people in the frame, they speak to your humanity, as well the faces tell a story the rock fail to articulate. So keep those family images coming!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gogd, and Grampy both wrote things like the following from Gogd:
PS: I happen to like TR photos that include people in the frame, they speak to your humanity, as well the faces tell a story the rock fail to articulate. So keep those family images coming!
I agree, and within reason, would be keen to see more people photos in TRs; just to help to visualize the whole mountain journey. I worried when I saw that almost every photo I had saved from that trip had one of us in it. That seemed too much, and I believe the above, Table Meadows TR was
improved by my adding some purely scenic images amongst all of the people shots. Thanks for your tolerance, those of you who may prefer more straight landscape images to go along with the TRs.

BTW, I recall Galen Rowell saying somewhere that he likes nature images in which the humans are very small elements, and I agree with that too. Images such as these:

DSC01582.JPG

IMG_3769.jpg

I remember one of Rowell's images, which captures this ideal in the extreme. It is called something like "Three Climbers on Everest." I was able to find it online, and have linked it below. Note that the infinitesimally small people-- the climbers-- are on the snowslopes in the bottom right of the image. Look for 3 black spots! Doesn't that give a sense of the grand scale of the Himalaya? Here it is: https://www.alamy.com/three-climbers-on ... 520480.htm You can't really see them without clicking on the image to enlarge it. Cheers for Galen Rowell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.