Gould Pass into the Dragon Lake area

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
LeifC302
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Gould Pass into the Dragon Lake area

Post by LeifC302 »

Hello there!

I’m planning a thru-hike from Onion Valley to North Lake via some off trail, JMT, and SHR as I hike NOBO. My main question: Has anyone hiked up to Gould Pass from Onion Valley and down in to the basin below which leads to Dragon Lake. I’m unsure of what I believe is the north-west facing slops that ultimately lead to the Rae Lakes Basin and would greatly appreciate any perspective.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Gould Pass into the Dragon Lake area

Post by tahoefoothills »

I went over it in July 2017 with a friend who was an accomplished climber and peak bagger. As I recall, this was a big snow year. There was a somewhat steep snow field on the way up and a steeper snow field on the way down. For me, it was sketchy and it took me a long time, especially descending through the snow. My friend was totally unconcerned and comfortable with the situation.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I'm pretty sure there have been a couple threads over the last couple years about Gould Pass and Dragon Pass and where they actually are on the ridge. A search of the site would definitely be useful.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

I have been on Gould Pass. I have been at Dragon Lake. and Dragon Pass. From what I recall, the descents from Gould pass or Dragon Pass to Dragon Pass seem very steep looking, with probably loose rock. Secor describes the descent as a steep chute with loose rock. From the inlet of Dragon Lake looking up, it is very rocky, like most passes. I thought about doing it, but I am not convinced that it is worth the effort. It is uphill cross country 1000' from Kearsage pass, then approximately 2000' feet down to the lake. You say you are a level 4 explorer, so it should not be a big deal, but only you know your capabilities and what you desire to do. Another time I was in the area, I went north from Kearsage pass, then east to the summit of Mt. Gould. The summit of Gould is class 3 with some exposure, but unless you want to sit on the small summit block, I did not find it a big deal. I descended the ridge line north from Mt. Gould to a big flat area on the ridge, then went east to the unnamed lakes east of Mt. Gould, Lake 3460', then back to the trailhead.
Dragon Lake: to avoid camping in Rae Lakes Basin, I found a primitive trail to Dragon Lake, about a mile, steep, but even if you lose the trail, the lake is not hard to find. I considered going up to Gould pass or Dragon Pass to get back to the car, but I decided not to bother. Easy trail back to Kearsage, or other destinations.