Lower or Upper Merced Pass Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CalMntHkr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lower or Upper Merced Pass Lake?

Post by CalMntHkr »

Of course it's time to plan the main summer hike and start applying for permits. Though I've been through the IIlilouette Canyon many times I've never stopped at the Merced Pass Lakes (Upper and Lower). Simple question: which is one better for an overnight camp? From photos, the lower lake looks to have extensive marshes (read mosquitos and lack of good camp sites). The upper lake seems to have a lack of good campsites. Can anyone provide some insight on this?

-Thanks
-Ken
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Lower or Upper Merced Pass Lake?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Neither. I would continue up to Lower Ottaway Lake or even Upper Ottaway Lake.
1920_132PM_alt_USE.jpg
1927_426PM_Upper Ottoway_edited-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Neither. I would continue up to Lower Ottaway Lake or even Upper Ottaway Lake.
I agree. I've camped at Upper Merced Pass Lake and Lower Ottoway and Ottoway is far better for any and all criteria. Upper Ottaway also looked far better though I didn't camp there.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Yes, upper Ottoway is very nice. Upper Merced Pass Lake is better than Lower MPL IMO. Though small, you'll likely have it to yourself with a nice camp spot.
CalMntHkr
Topix Acquainted

Post by CalMntHkr »

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the great info Dave. I've been passing by the Merced Pass Lakes on my way to Lower Ottoway for about 50 years and never even stopped for a peak. But my age is catching up to me making big distances even harder. I may need an option as that last uphill to L. Ottoway is pretty tough especially after the march up the Illiluote Canyon (or the Fernandez Pass direction). But L. Ottoway is a worthy goal as it is one of the best lakes in the central Sierra. (IMO). The sunsets are amazing.

Happy Hiking!
-Ken

(Daisy: I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Upper Ottoway from that vantage point. Awesome!)
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

I agree with Daisy. Lower Ottoway is magical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Upper Merced Pass Lake is nice enough and does have a few good flat areas to camp. However, I agree that Lower/Upper Ottoway Lakes are nicer, but after a long day that last uphill may not be worth it.

Aug. 2020 camped near the southwest shore of Upper Merced Pass Lake

Upper Merced Pass Lake
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by narc1370 »

Even since I read an article about 10 years ago, I've wanted to make it to LMPS for the nostalgia factor. As such, lower Merced Pass Lake up to Ottoway Lakes has always been my "plan B" hike if I didn't get a particular permit for a trailhead. Fortunately, I've always gotten my "plan A" trips and have still yet to make it out there. But I'll get there eventually, however, I was going to access it from Sierra National Forest and do a loop over Red Peak Pass.

https://www.activenorcal.com/rememberin ... -yosemite/
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

My report from 2016 might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?t=14806&hilit=mono+meadows

I thought Upper Merced Pass Lake was just OK, but Lower Ottoway was spectacular. We did not try to get all the way to Lower Ottoway in a day, but started midday from Mono Meadows and camped the first night at the Clark Fork crossing of the trail. Doing it all the way to Ottoway in a day might have been possible if we had started earlier, but we did not try. We missed Lower Merced Lake entirely--it was not visible from the trail as I recall, and Upper Ottoway has an obvious use trail to it leaving from the intersection. We went over there for lunch.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

kpeter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:40 pm My report from 2016 might be helpful:
viewtopic.php?t=14806&hilit=mono+meadows

I thought Upper Merced Pass Lake was just OK, but Lower Ottoway was spectacular. We did not try to get all the way to Lower Ottoway in a day, but started midday from Mono Meadows and camped the first night at the Clark Fork crossing of the trail. Doing it all the way to Ottoway in a day might have been possible if we had started earlier, but we did not try. We missed Lower Merced Lake entirely--it was not visible from the trail as I recall, and Upper Ottoway has an obvious use trail to it leaving from the intersection. We went over there for lunch.
Exactly what we did, years ago. Entering the park through Big Oak Flat, getting our permit, and driving over to Mono Meadows took up most of the morning. Lunch at Lower Merced Pass Lake, and then camped at Lower Ottaway.

On the way back, we made it as far as the crossing of Illilouette Creek before stopping for the night, leaving a very short climb up to Mono Meadows the next morning. I think it might be about 15 miles from Mono Meadows to Lower Ottaway? More than us old people can manage in a day--or at least want to manage!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963