Sierra High Route TM Permits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treks
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sierra High Route TM Permits

Post by treks »

I plan to do a section of the SHR from Twin Lakes to Postpile this August. I got the starting permit at Horse Creek but am trying to hedge my bets for the lottery into Tuolumne at Rafferty Creek starting 8/5/2023. Any suggestions for other permits in case I lose out on Rafferty? Not too sure how walk up will pan out either. Willing to do detours of course.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra High Route TM Permits

Post by paul »

Try Parker Pass out of Dana Meadows.
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

Initially I thought it was too far out but good call. Ireland to Bernice should do the trick.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am wondering why you need a permit from TM (Rafferty). When I did the route north-to-south I simply walked through on my permit from Twin Lakes. Is it correct that you still are going from Twin Lakes to Tuolumne?

I drove over Tioga Pass, put a foam cooler with food in the bear box labeled with when I would pick it up, stopped only to get a burger, shower at Tuolumne Lodge and then went up Rafferty until almost legal (got caught in big storm so had to put up the tent a bit short of legal distance). PCT hikers stash food at Tuolumne all the time- I think they send it to the post office?

Then I drove to get my permit at Bridgeport (could do ranger station pick up then), got a parking permit from the campground and went up to Horse Creek on day 1 (below first pass). I think it was 4 days and then day 5 went down to Tuolumne, picked up food and on to camp on Rafferty Cr.

If you do not have a car and are simply being dropped off at Twin Lakes, then you simply carry 4 more days food and do not camp at Tuolumne. I really think that is easier than all the extra walking going in any other trailhead.

If you go in Parker Pass how are you going to get over Volgalsang pass to continue to High Route?
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

I'm leaving the car at Twin Lakes. I thought I needed a Yosemite permit since I am coming from Humboldt-Toiyabe NF?

That's right. I'm going from Twin Lakes to TM to get to Vogelsang Pass. I'm flexible and can carry the extra days food.

I was mistaken BTW. Lyell canyon is way too steep to traverse the peeks on either side. Even if I got down to Waugh, I'd miss a great leg of the SHR. Sorry about that.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I suggest calling the Yosemite Wilderness Permit office (209/372-0826) to ask if you really need a separate permit to continue beyond Tuolumne Meadows on the SHR, or if one permit from the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest to start at Twin Lakes is good for your entire route. You definitely need a separate permit to continue on the John Muir Trail, because so many people want to do that. But you may not need a separate permit to continue on Rafferty Creek and then on the SHR.

If you do need a separate permit, another good starting point is Nelson Lake. Officially listed as "cross-country", there is a pretty good use trail from the Elizabeth Lake trail over the pass and down and around to Nelson Lake. Then there is an easy cross-country route over the pass north of Rafferty Peak to reach the Rafferty Creek trail at Tuolumne Pass. I've written up a description of that cross-country route from Nelson Lake in the HST cross-country passes section at viewtopic.php?p=159705. This alternate route may take 4 or even more hiking hours longer than simply ascending the Rafferty Creek trail, but it is much more scenic with more solitude.

-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Be very specific about what you are going to do when you talk to the wilderness office in Yosemite.

Technically, if you leave the wilderness at any point, you need a permit to re-enter it. But they issue permits every day for the John Muir Trail that start in Happy Isles and continue on through Tuolumne Meadows to Donahue Pass and the rest of the JMT.

I think their response will depend to a huge extent on what you say you are going to do in TM. If it's "pass through" withouth stopping I don't think there is any problem If you stop for a resupply, a shower, and eat in the cafe, maybe less so. If you get a quick ride to Lee Vining to eat at the Mobil station and re-supply in Bridgeport, you'll definitely need a new permit.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Back in 2020 I called Yosemite and spoke with a ranger about this, though I was headed in the other direction. Yosemite had just changed the wording on their website to read as though you would need a new permit if you stepped onto the Tioga Pass Road. The ranger said that I did not need a new permit so long as I just crossed the road to continue my hike. He said I could even use the TM backpackers campground, which was still open at that time. I remember that all of the jurisdictions were clarifying the rules, stating that leaving the wilderness for any reason or any length of time would invalidate your permit. They got a lot of pushback from PCT and JMT hikers because how are you expected to hike 200+ miles without getting a resupply. They relented to reason a few months later before the start of the hiking season.

However, things may have changed or it may be different if you are entering from Inyo, so I would check with a Yosemite ranger.
swimjam
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by swimjam »

Technically, you can enter and stay in Yosemite wilderness with the permit from Humboldt-Toiyabe NF as long as you don't leave the wilderness. This is a fact. You are allowed to cross the road but not walk down the road. The problem is if you choose exit using Donahue pass. For that, you would need a separate permit. The Sierra High Route (Roper) uses Blue Lake pass (west of Donahue). Stick to that to stay legal.
treks
Topix Acquainted

Post by treks »

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. I am going to adhere to the route as outlined by Roper so it sounds promising. I'll talk to the permit office as suggested and provide an update for those reading this in the future.