SEKI 3-Nighter Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI 3-Nighter Suggestions

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also got walk-up from the ranger station in SEKI two years ago. It is a hit or miss and you do need to get in line early. A permit for Pear Lake can also be walk-up but usually is full. A pass-through is easier to get.

There is a trail from Wolverton to the trail from Crescent Meadow. I used to always use this trail because it makes a loop back through Tablelands better logistically. I think there are now new restrictions on that trail. I am not sure how that works; call SEKI for information. The permit to Alta Meadow IS NOT a permit to go down to the trail from Crescent Meadow.

For a very scenic 3 night/4 day trip, if you are acclimated and later in the season when snow is gone,1) Tablelands pass through, 2) Tamarack Lake, 3) Hamilton Lake, 4) long walk out. Skip Tamarack if you want more time at Hamilton Lake and shorter walk out. You can walk out to Wolverton via the pass near Alta (forgot its name). Less walking but in my opinion not as scenic, is to spend all days in Tablelands. There are lots of day-hikes you can do from there. Go in with a Pear Lake pass-through and come out Alta, or visa versa depending on permit availability.

If Roads End opens and you are up for a lot of elevation gain, Copper Creek trail to Granite Lake, Volcanic Lakes is scenic. Or go up Woods Creek to Castle Domes and day-hike to Window Peak Lake. And the Rae Lakes Loop is a feasible 3-night/4 day trip. As well as Bubbs to East Lake-Reflection Lake. Actually tons of stuff if Roads End opens- I hear rumors of opening later this season.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

I'm not sure if they closed this loophole or not, but it used to be possible to get a separate permit for either Giant Forest or General Sherman, I don't really remember what it was officially called. Anyhow, it requires starting from the General Sherman trailhead, hitting the Congress trail for a minute, and then veering off onto the historic Alta Trail. It's a roundabout way of getting to the HST, and definitely adds some miles, but is a cool route that no one ever uses. For your return trip you could then take the HST to Crescent Meadow, and take a park shuttle back to the General Sherman.

If this is all too much of a pain in the neck, a good alternative plan is to do the Lollipop Loop out of the Twin Lakes Trailhead/Lodgepole Campground. On weekdays getting a walk up permit won't be an issue. This route lacks the dramatic views and open scenery that the HST affords, although the view coming down Silliman Pass is absolutely spectacular. Advantages to this route include much more solitude than the HST, and an abundance of warm water (by Sierra standards) lakes to hop in. Most of the lakes require short detours from the main route, and there's a number of other small, scenic lakes that can be accessed by short, enjoyable x-country jaunts. The biggest disadvantage to this route is that much of it is spent in boggy terrain, and can be biblically awful mosquito-wise if not timed right.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

creekfeet wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:16 am … it used to be possible to get a separate permit for either Giant Forest or General Sherman, I don't really remember what it was officially called. Anyhow, it requires starting from the General Sherman trailhead, hitting the Congress trail for a minute, and then veering off onto the historic Alta Trail …
What you are describing is the historical start to the Alta Trail; physical signage still exists showing it starting a short distance from the north end of the Giant Forest Museum. But even the SEKI Wilderness web page states that the Alta Trail “begins at Wolverton”. I suspect that they probably don’t want to encourage hikers to occupy the GFM parking spaces for a days-long trip.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a shuttle bus from Wolverton to Crescent Meadow trailhead. I think it would stop at a number of trailheads on the way. You could still park at Wolverton. I took this bus years ago so cannot say that the stops are the same now as then.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Belle Canyon entrance to Ranger Lakes! (Sunset Meadow TH) Can even do a loop if you want.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!