another tent question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

another tent question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am looking to buy a Big Agnes Copper Spur-1 tent from REI (good sale now) and am debating between the UL1 or the Bikepack1. The main reason for the Bikepack is shorter poles. Although I do not have to fit poles between handlebars on a bicycle, the longer pole sections of the UL1 do not fit horizontally in my backpack without stressing the material. And I really want the poles inside the pack. With the bear can, I cannot put the poles vertical. The 12-inch Bikepack1 pole sections are shorter than needed. So neither length is ideal. I have heard that shorter sections are weaker; AND the contrary that shorter but more pole sections are stronger. The reviews of the Bikepack1 imply that it is a sturdier tent in storms than the UL1. The weight and cost difference are minimal and not factors. I am leaning towards the Bikepack1. What do you think?
John Harper
Topix Expert

Re: another tent question

Post by John Harper »

I've had two piece flyrods, and 4 piece flyrods. I have never heard that more pieces makes the rods weaker. Its sounds like the Bikepack 1 fits your needs better. I can't find anything that says more sections weaken the poles function. It even seems shorter sections may be stronger.

John
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Any strength difference is going to be small enough to ignore. More sections will of course be heavier because there will be more of those internal coupler pieces. I would think that more sections would take just slightly longer to assemble, but that probably is such a small difference that it won't matter.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

You can go online and purchase custom length carbon fiber pole sections.

I put phosphorescent tape strips on my pole sections so that I don't bump into that in the middle of the night.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I ordered the Copper Spur UL Bikepack tent. It is backordered so will not get it for a couple of weeks. Thanks for all your suggestions.