Trapped in the Wind Rivers

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trapped in the Wind Rivers

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I just came across this story of a solo hiker who became trapped while hiking off trail in the Wind Rivers. I imagine some of you are already familiar with this story, but I thought that it is too moving not to share. This story in Outside seemed like a well written account of the ordeal. https://www.backpacker.com/trips/trappe ... ner-story/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trapped in the Wind Rivers

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for that link.

I knew about the accident because my friend, Juan, volunteered in the search. I think he was part of the recovery effort too. In 2007 Juan and I went over that pass and since he knew all the details, we were a bit spooked. We got caught in a big storm half-way down, but just got very cold and wet. In the 1969 I went up the pass early season when it was covered with snow and remember it as fairly easy- just walking over snow. In 2007 late season it was all rock. The pass is unofficially called "Bloody Hell Pass". Has been known for that since way back, probably since the 1950's. The route the preacher had planned to go over is Alpine Col, now a part of Skurka's high route. There is another pass just east of Bloody Hell Pass that goes up high over a plateau- I call it Goat Packers Pass, because this is used by goat packers. Another pass way down on Big Milky Lake also gets you over to the Brown Cliffs. I named it Elk Preferred Pass, because the route I found is full of elk sign.

Here are a few photos
0660_Lkxxxx_small.jpg
0661_Bloody Hell Pass.jpg
5919_KnifepointGlacier.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Hence a good case for the Re-Conn form... 10 years before this occurrence.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Very well written article about a sad story

thanks for posting
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

About the hallucinations...
This is an experience survivors of extreme, peril have described. It is known as the third man factor. John Griger wrote a book by that title, expounding on this phenomenon. It is a compelling read. He documents the accounts of mountaineers, seafarers, combatants and others confronted with protracted, dire circumstances, where they perceive the presences of an apparition. It can be vivid as a full blown personage of a family member, or as ethereal as a faint whisper in the wind, or just the sensation of something in your presence. Most members of the ill-fated Scott Antarctic expedition independently wrote in their journals of having experienced the third man factor. Religious folks tend to associate it with God or angels, while the atheistic are comfortable not assigning a label to the apparition. My hunch is the third man factor is an evolutionary survival feature, that help humans (maybe other creatures as well) to marshal our will to survive and get through danger, when we were more vulnerable in our primitive past.

Planning XC treks:
This case drives home the challenge of finding persons who vary off their route. It is hard enough to spot someone among rocks or flora several hundred feet below an aircraft, even when you know their approximate location. Attempting to find someone that has deviated from their route gets reduced to a crap shoot, especially if such rescue efforts lack access to infrared imaging technology. In this case the hiker was only one basin off the his planned route; but since his itinerary notes lacked field contingency details, SAR efforts were left to second guess his whereabouts when he was not located along his nominal route. They guessed wrong. Thus route plans left back home should include contingency routes, in case SAR activities are activated. Traveler(s) should attempt to make every effort possible to keep on a track that conforms to the intended primary and alternative routes. While a lot of folks carry a satellite communication device, all XC trekkers should consider also carrying RECCO reflector devices. RECCO technology does not need batteries or a clear line of sight to satellites in order to work. If you carry a RECCO device, this consideration should also be noted in the itinerary plans you leave back home.

A comprehensive template for documenting a trip itinerary was develop by the HST moderator, @ Maverick . It is in the forum topic mentioned by @ austex : https://reconn.org/. Thanks, Mav!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.