Nine Lakes/Kaweah off-trail ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rowingdave
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Nine Lakes/Kaweah off-trail ideas

Post by Rowingdave »

Experienced backpacker who has done Wind River traverse mix of trail and off trail… I don’t want to go full Andrew Skurka, but would like to do a mix of trail/off trail exploration in the Nine Lakes/Kaweah area… Just looking for some advice that doesn’t involve Car sized boulders that move under my feet lol. I’ll plan on picking up walk-up permits in July/August. Thanks in advance!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Nine Lakes/Kaweah off-trail ideas

Post by maverick »

Hi Rowingdave,

Welcome to HST! :)

viewtopic.php?t=4205
Knowing about your background and interests will allow our members to give you better advice tailored to your wants and needs. Also, there are plenty of TRs that you can quickly access by using the "search" feature.
For example:
viewtopic.php?t=22700
viewtopic.php?t=20940
viewtopic.php?t=9372
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Rowingdave,

Matching your objectives, one of my favorite routes is as follows:

Beginning at Crescent Meadow, follow the High Sierra Trail to the Kaweah Gap, where the Trail is left and Nine Lake Basin is entered.

Exit Nine Lake Basin over Pyra Queen Col and drop into the Kaweah Basin.

Follow the Kaweah Basin downstream until it is easy to cross over to Picket Creek Basin.

Descend to the Colby Pass Trail and follow it upstream a few miles.

Leave the Trail and enter the Kern Kaweah Basin.

Exit over Pants Pass back to the Nine Lake Basin.

Rejoin the High Sierra Trail and return to Crescent Meadow.

Enjoy your adventure.

Jim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I prefer this return Instead of via Pants Pass (you see more new places):

Continue over Colby Pass to Colby Lake

Down to Cloud Canyon and up to hits head

Over Lion Lake Pass, down Lone Pine Creek (Tamarack Lake)

from creek crossing-

Cross and go down to intersect the trail to Hamilton lake and return same way you came in
OR Follow creek up to just below Lonely Lake and over Pyradactyle Pass, Tablelands-Pear Lk-Watchtower Tr to Wolverton TH

There is a shuttle bus back to Crescent Meadow from Wolverton TH.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

SSW of Nine Lakes Basin there's a chain of deep water lakes that rest between Eagle Scout Peak and Lippincott Mountain that can easily be reached on a day hike, or visited as part of a larger loop. Reaching the northernmost lake requires a climb of a little over a thousand feet on granite slabs, rising from the High Sierra Trail. Sitting in the shadow of Eagle Scout Peak, this body of water is eerily similar to Precipice Lake, featuring a backdrop of dramatic, black streaked cliffs, and a deep bowl with high visibility. From there, reaching the other two lakes requires relatively easy contouring.

The southernmost lake has one of the best views of the Kaweahs you're liable to find in the Sierra, and an accessible pass to the north of Lippincott Mountain, that isn't much more challenging than the on-trail route over Kaweah Gap. The descent on the west side of the pass is much more challenging, but leads to a couple of absolutely stunning, warm water (by Sierra standards) ponds that I'd rank among the most scenic places I've ever been, not just due to the bodies of water themselves, but because of the abundance of visible domes in the distance. The descent down Granite Creek to regain the trail near Redwood Meadow is not for the faint of heart, but works well enough to make a helluva loop hike.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

creekfeet wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:58 am SSW of Nine Lakes Basin there's a chain of deep water lakes that rest between Eagle Scout Peak and Lippincott Mountain that can easily be reached … Sitting in the shadow of Eagle Scout Peak, this body of water is eerily similar to Precipice Lake, featuring a backdrop of dramatic, black streaked cliffs, and a deep bowl with high visibility. From there, reaching the other two lakes requires relatively easy contouring.

The southernmost lake has one of the best views of the Kaweahs you're liable to find in the Sierra, and an accessible pass to the north of Lippincott Mountain, that isn't much more challenging than the on-trail route over Kaweah Gap. The descent on the west side of the pass is much more challenging, but leads to a couple of absolutely stunning, warm water (by Sierra standards) ponds that I'd rank among the most scenic places I've ever been …
Coincidentally, I looked up Lippincott on my saved maps and noticed I had marked your unnamed pass, upon reading your trip report on this route in 2019:

viewtopic.php?t=20180

Until I looked it up, I thought I was suffering from Deja Vu