Problem Viewing Posts

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Problem Viewing Posts

Post by ERIC »

DJG wrote:Hello,
Love the site, often lurk, seldom post. Ever since the makeover the posts are viewed as a narrrow column on the right side of the format. I know its been awhile since you reformatted the site, and I've tried poking around the FAQ's and tried a few different settings but I still have the same problem viewing the posts. Can ya help a guy out?

Thanks for everything!

Dan

Hi Dan,

OK. Let's see if we can troubleshoot this together:

1) What Operating System/version are you using?
2) What Browser/version are you using?
3) What size is your screen resolution set to?
4) Try going to the following link, and let me know if the posts are doing the same thing for you there as they are here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p5553765

I'm moving your question to the Technical Problems forum. Please try to post future tech problems there, rather than private messaging me, so that everyone can benefit from your question and the solution to the problem (if we can find one!) :p

Cheers,

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
DJG
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Problem Viewing Posts

Post by DJG »

Many thanks for your help! Answers to your questions:
1. Operating System is a Mac OSX (ver 10.4.11)
2. Browser: Internet Explorer (ver 5.2.3)
3. Display setting: 1680 x 1050
4. When I go to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi it views the same, or worse (all srunched up vertically)
5. Glad to share it all here.

Now, maybe the simplest solution is that I should use Safari as my browser instead as that seems to work much better and High Sierra Topix compares nicely to the other test site you sent me to. So, unless there is a simple solution for using Internet Explorer I will switch to using Safari instead. Sorry to be a bother. Any ideas how to make Internet Explorer present the posts correctly instead of putting everyones posts in the narrow column at the right under their names, which makes the lines only a couple of words long at best.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Dan
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Very interesting. :-k
That link I provided was the forum at the phpBB site - the developers of the forum software we use here. I was concerned that the template theme we're using might be the problem, but that's apparently not it. Think you might be an isolated case.
I don't run a Mac, so I can't test your OS. But I do believe that your IE version is outdated. I've tested with IE 7 and everything looks fine. Unless Mac Internet Explorer versions differ from PC (which I doubt), I'd say that might be your issue right there. On PC, version 5 is really old (like several years old)...

Try downloading/updating to the most current version of IE, and let me know how it turns out. If you still have the same problem, save a screenshot and upload it to this thread using the "Upload attachment" tab below the submit button on your reply.

Eric
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Dan and Eric, my understanding is that IE for mac was discontinued in 2003, so there's no chance to update it to the newest version. Because of this, IE5 for mac is pretty outdated, and renders newer web content pretty badly. I tried my old version and I do see the effect you are describing...unfortunately not much to be done about this other than use a different browser. Sorry about this...
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks Greg.
DJG
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DJG »

Well okay then: IE is out and Safari is in. Thanks for putting in some time on this and for the education. What a relief to view the posts in a manner that facilitates reading, its like breathing that fresh mountain air: the way its supposed to be.

Gracias again.