What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What Will Be Your Mosquito Avoidance Techniques?

Post by rayfound »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:49 pm
bobby49 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:22 pm As you point out, DEET is strong but perhaps a bit toxic.
There's no evidence of this when used in a sane manner. For example, see here, or here.
I don't personally worry too much about dangers from DEET when I am only using occasionally - but I really really detest the stuff. The smell, the oiliness, the way it damages synthetics, etc... I have been pleasantly surprised with the efficacy of picaridin over the last year or so since I discovered it.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted

Post by tweederjohnson »

Spicer'sVet wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:48 am Yeah I wasn't necessarily worried about DEET toxicity for myself, but more for native insect and aquatic life when I rinse off in the lakes. Same reason I try to use reef safe sunscreen. But I also agree it's best to cover skin with lightweight clothing (treated with Permethrin) and not use either, I just like wearing shorts when hiking so will need something for my legs.

But hiking in wool shirt and shorts? Sounds way too hot!
To be clear, only the shirts are wool. The shorts and pants i hike in are mostly nylon with some elastane. The wool hiking shirts from Icebreakers and Smartwool are thin (t-shirts and longsleeve shirts), breathable and comfortable -- and even better -- don't stink as bad as synthetic shirts that tend to amplify body odor after a day (or days) of hiking.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

Thanks rayfound, I think you convinced me to use Picardin this time around!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I mostly am covered up, and put Picardin on my ankles, hands and wrists, face and neck.
I use a net when they are too annoying, such as when I am doing exercises at the end of the day and end up breathing a few.
I use sun gloves but when the skeeters are really biting they can penetrate, hence Picardin.
I spray my shirt with Permethrin- the newer, lighter REI shirt is too thin otherwise.
I am a clean freak, so on hot days I may just go in the water with all clothes, otherwise I jump into the lake naked, and dress while still wet; they don't bite during those two minutes while you are wet.
I heat water just outside the tent door- Esbit does not play well with tent floors.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

CAMERONM wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:04 pm I heat water just outside the tent door- Esbit does not play well with tent floors.
Um... Stove fires in general don't play well with tents.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

OK folks some new repellant technology with a respectable 75% DEET. For years I've wrote to avoid carrying usual 25% DEET concoctions. Not the usual oily smelly stuff so many hate. I was impressed. Read the comment reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V3FTUA/

For you old folks, remember all those old little white Cutter's bottles? The ones where if in a tight pants pocket, the cap sometimes popped off leaving a pocketful of oily mess haha?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

didnt read the whole thread so maybe this has been mentioned but i heard J&J baby lotion works

4 of us were in mammoth/yosemite/rock creek 1st week of aug and it seemed to work pretty good, lots of mosquitos buzzing around (oddly i have seen much worse in drier years) and none of them biting. they do that sometime tho so i dont know for sure but i will definitely try again
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

SSSdave wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:31 amOK folks some new repellant technology with a respectable 75% DEET. For years I've wrote to avoid carrying usual 25% DEET concoctions. Not the usual oily smelly stuff so many hate. I was impressed. Read the comment reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V3FTUA/[/color]
FYI Dave the repellent in your link is only 7% DEET, not 75%.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks @windknot.

Just went out to my car where I'd tossed it behind my driver's seat after buying it at the Mammoth Lakes Von's and yes you are quite right. No wonder it wasn't oily, haha
Thanks for the correction. Embarrassing and also rather funny.

You see, my uncorrected vision is 20/70 and like many seniors have presbyopia. So have lots of reading glasses all over. Well recall last Monday on my way to the trailhead picking that up from its Von's rack and repeatedly moving it further and closer away trying to read its small print after not sticking any reading glasses in my pocket.

Glad I never actually put it in my pack as I had 3 100% DEET pens. Likely use it to spray on my neck drape hat.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

These days I spray my clothes with Permathrin and carry DEET. Occasionally the DEET is needed when the mosquitoes are really bad but most of the time the Permathrin keeps the bugs away. The Permathrin works better than DEET for keeping ticks off me.