Lightning Safety Facts

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightning Safety Facts

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:42 am We read somewhere that squating with just your feet on your foam pad was also a good position. Less body contacting the ground. I hope bobby49's position is right, as it would be more comfortable.
I read the position you assume needs to minimize the distance between the most distal parts of the body that contact the ground, as voltage differential between contact points can be present, for example between feet in a wide versus narrow stance. The voltage differential may cause a nearby ground strike to conduct through your body. I imagine this also applies to your head and feet as you lay prone on the ground. IMO. But am am not physicist.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightning Safety Facts

Post by rlown »

Friend was a mule packer in Yose. Was at May Lk HSC waiting out a storm. Lightning struck the camp. Chef was in the kitchen. Working on Stainless steel.
He won't do that again after the shock he received.