Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by c9h13no3 »

dlopilato wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:02 am Hi HST!

I've been lurking for a while but finally getting around to posting a trip report. Anyway, I'm a transplant from the southeast exploring the Sierra for the first time and having a blast. I think I found the board through Google. I like this community more than others because it's not really gear-obsessed like on Reddit etc. It's helped me figure out what kind of experiences I'm looking for and given me a lot of ideas about how to make them happen!

Daniel
Welcome :)

I'm originally from the southeast as well, but was drawn into the jobs vortex that is the Bay Area. The folks here literally know (almost) everything about the Sierra, just avoid @Harlen's threads, since they're about nothing but dogs, snow, and whiskey. :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dlopilato
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dlopilato »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 am
dlopilato wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:02 am Hi HST!

I've been lurking for a while but finally getting around to posting a trip report. Anyway, I'm a transplant from the southeast exploring the Sierra for the first time and having a blast. I think I found the board through Google. I like this community more than others because it's not really gear-obsessed like on Reddit etc. It's helped me figure out what kind of experiences I'm looking for and given me a lot of ideas about how to make them happen!

Daniel
Welcome :)

I'm originally from the southeast as well, but was drawn into the jobs vortex that is the Bay Area. The folks here literally know (almost) everything about the Sierra, just avoid @Harlen's threads, since they're about nothing but dogs, snow, and whiskey. :)
Thanks! I'm partial to cats myself but I do like snow and whiskey. My partner got hired by the forest service so we're up near Chico now. The dry heat is something else! In fact I think I might like humidity better. But the minute I saw the alpine for the first time I knew things would work out just fine :)
kemperhk
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kemperhk »

Doesn't look like too many people are introducing themselves. I live in Washington state where I hike most often. We have a trail association that allows people to post trip reports on hikes throughout the state. I post there. I've backpacked in Olympic National Park and the North Cascades most recently.

I joined HST two years ago when I had a permit to hike the Rae Lakes loop and was looking for information on the hike including current conditions. That hike didn't happen due to fires and air quality. Have a permit for early August this year and am really looking forward to it as all I've read about the loop just gets me interested. Rae Lake loop will be my longest trip as were planning for 5 nights with a zero day in the Rae Lakes basin.

Happy to post a report if he trip happens. We're watching the new Yosemite fire and its impact on AQI in Kings Canyon. Shouldn't be an issue but you never know.

Would be very interested in any mosquito reports as the last one posted here was in June.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Welcome kemperhk,

Hope you make it to the Sierra this year! Interesting to see you are from the state with those brilliant North Cascades and Olympic National Parks. Just last night, my Vermont friends, and Sierra hiking buddies, were pouring over a topo map of Olympic NP-- looks like a hike up Hoh River gets you into wild rain forest and glaciers too! All the best, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
ctspina2
Topix Newbie

Post by ctspina2 »

Hi HST,

Just joined this site and have been hiking, camping and fishing in the Sierra's all of my life. Mainly Central Sierra. I found this site after reading the fantastic book, The High Sierra A Love Story, by Kim Stanley Robinson. That pretty much sums it up for me. The Sierra Nevada range is in my blood and cherish the land and the many trips I have taken. I am sure many of you also feel this way. :) Excited to join and have another resource to help me plan future adventures. Regards, Chris
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi HST,

Just joined this site and have been hiking, camping and fishing in the Sierra's all of my life. Mainly Central Sierra. I found this site after reading the fantastic book, The High Sierra A Love Story, by Kim Stanley Robinson. That pretty much sums it up for me. The Sierra Nevada range is in my blood and cherish the land and the many trips I have taken. I am sure many of you also feel this way. :) Excited to join and have another resource to help me plan future adventures. Regards, Chris
Hi Chris,

Welcome to HST. 🙂
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MontañaMar
Topix Newbie

Post by MontañaMar »

I found this site after reading the fantastic book, The High Sierra A Love Story, by Kim Stanley Robinson.
Likewise, Chris. Great book, devoured it in a matter of days a few weeks back and it has inspired me to start backpacking in the Sierra.

I have visited the Sierra at least annually over the past 15-20 years, in the summer, mostly vacationing in Tahoe or Mammoth rental homes while doing plenty of day hiking and lake hopping.

My backpacking experience consists mostly of overnight trips in the Southern California national forests and wilderness areas. I have backpacked the Grand Canyon by way of South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails. I spend most of my time at home surfing San Onofre and occasionally trail running.

Looking forward to my first Sierra backpacking trip this upcoming weekend via Bishop Pass Trail. This site has been a fantastic reference and I hope this will be the first of many great trips!

Brian
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Brian welcome to HST! Glad you have an upcoming trip. A trip report after would be great. Beware of T Storms...
MontañaMar
Topix Newbie

Post by MontañaMar »

Brian welcome to HST! Glad you have an upcoming trip. A trip report after would be great. Beware of T Storms...
Thanks!

I cancelled my original permit that would have had me there yesterday and today due to the storm forecast. I was fortunate to be able to grab another, hoping the current Natl Weather Service forecast for Dusy Basin holds true for this weekend!
kscott
Topix Newbie

Post by kscott »

This year marked the 50th since the night I was one of four youths who somehow got the idea to hike to the top of Mt Whitney during the height of the Perseid meteor shower. It was a life changing event for an impressible kid. Nowadays, I'm mostly trying to stay healthy for more backpacking trips. Interests include natural history, geology, and photography.