Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hola Zealousy,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard! Other lurkers should do the same. We like old and new posts all the time!! Especially during the winter months.
TxAggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TxAggie »

Howdy, everyone.

I’m new to this forum but fairly active on hammock forums and occasional visitor to White Blazes. I’m an East Coast backpacker living in Maryland and I primarily use a hammock when backpacking.
I would consider myself a 3.5 level hiker: extensive trail experience as a solo and group hiker and off trail experience in land navigation with both traditional map and compass and gps.

My daughter started college at Davis giving me an opportunity to come out and see her while getting in some hiking as well. I’ll be looking for suggestions on trails near Sacramento in late April/early May for a 2-3 night trip.

Looking forward to getting to know the forum.

Joe
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Joe,

Welcome to HST! :)
We have the “Beyond the Sierra Nevada” section if you feel like sharing any of your east coast backpacking trips. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hope
Topix Newbie

Post by Hope »

Hi Everyone,
I've enjoyed this forum and the map for a couple years. Thank you to the regulars for the great information. I'm a Scouts BSA leader (Hermosa Beach, linked troops for both boys and girls), and I think that week-long Sierra backpacking treks with the scouts are tremendous fun for all and it is really cool to watch the youth grow and become comfortable backpackers as our trips progress.

Last year we dilly-dallied on our trip planning until it seemed that the only permit available to our large 11 person group was Farewell Gap (Mineral King). Given that the Tom Harrison map showed an unmaintained trail over Shotgun Pass, I was wondering if the route would be too challenging, but thanks to Sierra Topix I found information that reassured me that the route was reasonable, and in fact with seven sets of young eyes, we easily found our way to Silver Lake and over the pass back into Sequoia National Park.

Next week I tackle the new Yosemite Lottery (recreation.gov). We're hoping to do a six night 44 mile loop: Yosemite Creek to North Dome to Tenaya Lake to Polly Dome Lakes to Ten Lakes Basin and back to the cars. Since we anticipate about a dozen participants, it may be challenging to get the permit reservation. Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Once again, thank you for all the great info.
Sincerely,
Hope
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Hope, first of all welcome to the forum. Second; thanks for your service. Well, idk if you are an active military member or a vet, but I consider a Scout Leader part of that realm. Shaping budding like minded young people is a calling and service to America.
The lottery system is and can be challenging. I just read an article on how bots have changed the Recreation.gov system for getting popular especially National Park campground reservations. If interested in reading it looped to a Reddit post from a guy and I won't get into detail here about it; but it was interesting. Welcome we look forward to trip reports!
Last edited by austex on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @Hope, welcome to HST. In my own experience as an eagle scout in my youth, I can say those early backpacking trips I took with my troop were deeply impactful on increasing my self-confidence, while also introducing me to the beauty of wilderness. I am happy to hear that you're having similarly positive outcomes with your own group! Anyway, good luck with the Yosemite permits. :)
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Recently joined HST. Found you guys while googling and researching a topic of interest. Once here, I poked around and found the site culture very civil, erudite, unpretentious. Oh did I mention you HSTers all reek of passion for our Sierra? A fine group here, I hope I don't sully it too much with my screeds and ramblings.

As for me.. I am a journeyman level codger who has a penchant to go for long walks, then come to his senses out somewhere above tree line. If you see me up there in the snow, wandering around in little more than a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, do understand I am not lost; I am either very stoned or am taking the scenic route to the grocery store. I have found nothing beats good company around a camp fire, except maybe enjoying a good camp fire in solitude. Likewise I feel the only thing that tops soloing is soloing with a friend. I like a good micro brew and fine whiskey, but love to debate! Hang around my camp long enough and I'll have you convinced that monkeys are descended from man, and not vice versa. Should you disagree with any of my POVs, however, do not tell me I am wrong – my wife and daughter consider that THEIR divine commission, and you would only be encroaching on their domain. Besides, why argue with a fool who has at least three answers to a yes/no question?

Cheers, Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Welcome aboard!
dlopilato
Topix Novice

Post by dlopilato »

Hi HST!

I've been lurking for a while but finally getting around to posting a trip report. Anyway, I'm a transplant from the southeast exploring the Sierra for the first time and having a blast. I think I found the board through Google. I like this community more than others because it's not really gear-obsessed like on Reddit etc. It's helped me figure out what kind of experiences I'm looking for and given me a lot of ideas about how to make them happen!

Daniel