Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TruckeeTallGuy
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by TruckeeTallGuy »

Hi Everyone,

Just introducing myself as I somehow just became aware of HST a few weeks ago. I'm Chris, I live in Truckee and spend a great deal of time outdoors in the Sierra. My primary modes of travel are trail running, hiking, splitboarding, and roller blading (paved trails only). The eastern Sierra is my favorite place on earth and I try to get down there a few times a year for ski touring, hiking, backpacking, etc. Happy to have discovered this community and I look forward to contributing.

Chris
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi KT5519, Mom, ethawilliams, Davis, and Chris,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TeddyW
Topix Newbie

Post by TeddyW »

My family has been backpacking the Sierras for generations. I grew up in the San Jacinto mountains and started backpacking when I was 7 years old.
49 years ago, I hiked the bottom half of the John Muir Trail, Whitney Portal to South Lake. I discovered that the president had resigned when seeing it on a note at the top of Bishop Pass. Things can change a lot while you are out of touch in the wilderness.
I have hiked other sections of the JMT, as well as other places in the Sierras, both on trail and off.
This year I am hiking JMT southbound from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal. My start date is September 17.
ctflower
Topix Newbie

Post by ctflower »

I've used the HST website often recently as a resource for information and scouting, but haven't posted. I figure now is as good of a time as any to post an introduction. I've been in and out of the high Sierra since the late 90s. Took a long break due to geographical constraints, but have found my way back in lately. Look forward to visiting some old trails and finding new ones.
ragoodwin50
Topix Newbie

Post by ragoodwin50 »

I've used HST for several years to get a handle on mosquitoes before heading out with my family. I just signed up in order to start contributing to the information. More reports, the better, especially in a year like this one.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi TeddyW, ctflwer, and ragoodwin50,

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
egghead
Topix Newbie

Post by egghead »

Heya, I'm Egghead. I'm from Tennessee. I stumbled on this community looking for trail conditions in the Muir. I've never hiked in the Sierras and have grabbed some time for a 3-4 night solo trip. Looking at Northlake TH and the fun that can be had from there. Community has already been helpful with 1st hand trail condition reports from the last month or so. Great to see an internet community continue to thrive for so long.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Egghead,

Slepak
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Slepak »

Hi. My name is Andrew and I live in Chicago. My first glimpse of Sierra Nevada mountains was in 2018 during family vacation in Mammoth Lakes. Mountains have changed me and I'm coming back at least once a year now. I discovered High Sierra Topix after my JMT hike in 2019 and it propelled me to cross country routes: South HSR section in 2022 and just finished trek to Tunemah Lake. I'll try to file a trip report from it but English is my second language and I'm afraid I can't reach the high standards of the forum :D but I'll try.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Andrew,