Sock Recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sock Recommendations?

Post by bobby49 »

I wear one pair of Wright socks, but they are made with two distinct layers, so it is somewhat like wearing two pairs of thin socks. I've never gotten a blister with those socks.

Yes, "Dirty Girl" gaiters also.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I am very prone to blisters, mainly because my feet are oddly shaped and no regularly sized boot can fit me. I have built up callouses over the years but long ago discovered that the two-layer sock technique works for me. An ultra thin liner sock and a smartwool mountaineering sock over the liner. It eliminated friction blisters completely--but I can still get pressure blisters. Like WD I always carry three pair for rotation.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I wear one red sock and one blue sock. A stranger asked me why I was wearing such a weird pair of socks. I told him that they weren't weird at all, and I had another pair just like them at home.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I've done 30+ mile days with off-trail travel in Darn Tough, Stance, and cheapo socks from Target. Good socks aren't hard to find, for my feet at least.

I'm not a fan of Smartwool. They quickly get holes in them, and the fit is a bit tighter.

For me, personally, underwear is the critical piece of gear. Chafing really ruins your day.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Injinji wool and smartwool running socks for me. I second the comment about trail gaiters. Huge difference.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

When I switched from boots to trail runners, a single pair of darn toughs has proven to be perfect for me. I size my shoes up as well to allow for my feet to swell. 5 years since this switch and not a single blister, and only had a hot spot once on the final day of the High Sierra Trail.