TR: Piute Pass Loop 8/1-5, 2024

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Piute Pass Loop 8/1-5, 2024

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The skinny smaller fish on the left (Humphreys Lakes) is from the next lake up. As for what fly I used, I have so much trouble tying on flies (arthritis in my hands and poor eyesight) I keep on any old fly until it is nothing but a hook. I had some yellow thing then a more mosquito like thing. I really have no idea of what the flies are supposed to be. Maybe that is why I do not land Golden trout very often- maybe they are pickier than Brookies. The biggest fat fish were from Muriel Lake- easy to catch too.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the great report and all the wonderful photos. Hope your shoulder is healing.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I hoping to spend some time in Humphreys Basin next summer, this makes me more excited for that trip
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

giantbrookie wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:52 pm I'm pleasantly surprised to see that there are still chunky brookies in the Humphreys Lakes (or one of them). I fished that lake in 1987 and it appears the size range hasn't changed that much
GB seems to have a multi-decade fishing database (in his head?) --- impressive